27 January, 2007

TLC Crackdown: When religion and politics collide

My negative opinion on Kevin Rudd is not news to the world, as everyone knows that I think he's an arrogant and smug asshat. Your local postie knows this, your piano teacher knows this and I daresay, I think your neighbour's pet labrador knows it too. There was a time when I (Charles) received a call to do a politics-related survey. One of the questions asked was:

Who do you consider to be arrogant, callous and smug? John Howard or Kim Beazley?

This happened during the time with Mr Beazley was still around, but I said to the surveyor, "Can I say Kevin Rudd?" Unfortunately, due to survey protocol, he was unable to allow me to answer this way and I had to choose John Howard instead, much to my shame because I believe Mr Howard to be a nice man.

I am not the biggest fan of Mr Rudd, considering Kim Beazley, his predecessor was actually my favourite pick for Labor Prime Minster of the modern era. Simon Crean was old and too much of a resemblance to dictator Joseph Stalin, and Mark Latham's forehead was way too damn big.

Upon reading this article, titled Abbott lashes Rudd on religion, we have Tony Abbott, a very respectable man who is widely hailed in The Letter C office as being the "head honcho drug dealing ex-priest-in-training". Now that we know Mr Rudd is a Christian, are we Christians more likely to vote for Labor in the coming election? I do not in any way consider Australia a "Christian country", much in the same way like the United States, and I surely hope to never see the kind of extremist patriotism and condemnation of non-believers.

Is Mr Rudd trying to turn Australia into a theocracy, or is he just really eager for votes that he will compromise his Christian values to gain support of Christians around Australia? I'm glad I will not be voting for this man.

I quote from the aforementioned article:


The minister (Tony Abbott) urged Mr Rudd to produce policies, not rhetoric, to show he was interested in the values of Christians rather than just their votes.

“I just wish he would stop feeding the myth of the Christian right without at least some hard evidence,” Mr Abbott said.

“Not only does it unfairly smear Christian people who just happen not to agree with him on some political issues but it makes him look two-faced when I'm not convinced he is.”

Tony Abbott, respect +10.

1 comments:

jayjayne said...

I LOL'd irl when I read this line: "Mark Latham's forehead was way too damn big"

Haahaa.

XD